• wilfredrodie

How Do I File a Lawsuit in Connecticut

There are two court systems, (Small Claims Court and Superior Court), available for

lawsuits to be commenced to seek money for injuries you sustained, whether caused by a

motor vehicle accident, medical malpractice, a slip and fall, a dog bite or other incident in which

you were injured.

In both Court systems, a Summons and Complaint is prepared, laying out the essential

elements of your case, given to an “indifferent person” (usually a State Marshal) for service on

the Defendant(s), and then timely returned to Court. There are rules that apply to each of these

processes that a lawyer can assist in making sure the timing and rules are followed.

Small Claims Court has a limit of recovery of $5,000.00. If you bring your case in Small

Claims Court, which is set up to be utilized by individuals without necessarily hiring an attorney,

and you are successful in the case, the Court can only award a maximum of $5,000.00. As an

attorney, I do not recommend you pursue your claim for injuries in Small Claims Court for this


In Superior Court, there is no limit to the amount you can obtain as compensation for

your injury. At trial, the Judge explains to the jury that the award of money to compensate for

your injuries should be “fair, just and reasonable”. There is no mathematical formula that


I am available to consult with you, free of charge, to talk to you about your case and the

procedure and requirements to start your lawsuit. Remember that Connecticut has Statutes of

Limitations that apply to your injury case. Generally speaking, your lawsuit must be filed no

later than two years from the date you were injured, or your right to pursue the case may be

barred. There are exceptions to this general rule. It is always advisable to speak with an

attorney as soon as possible after your injury to protect your rights, investigate the claim, and

commence a timely lawsuit on your behalf when appropriate.

6 views0 comments